Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Last week was Plein Air Moab and I spent the whole week painting around that magnificent area.  This was the first one I did.  I was staying at a guest house near Fisher Tower and got up very early to catch a nice sunrise scene.  I drove up to Fisher Tower hiking trail, which was pitch black at the time and waited.  I became enamored with the silhouette of one of the towers, the early signs of the sun coming up with the faint image of the plants and rocks in the foreground.  I had to paint fast because it changed quickly but I liked the result.

A tip when painting at night or when you need light.  I found that if I hung my headlamp around my neck upside down, that it would illuminate the palette and the painting without blinding me to the scene beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment